logobigellinika

Pyli

Pyli Agiaklaftis Pyliou In the flat area before Pyli, where the ancient necropolis of Alnetion was, a burial building was found from the Roman period which was transformed into a Christian church with the name Agiaklafti.
In 1959 while cleaning work was being carried out by the Metropolis church an ancient sign with the name Klavdia was found. This led the Archbishop Emmanouil Karpathiou to acknowledge the church and dedicate it to St Claudia. Harmilio Harmilio is situated in the village of Pyli and is a burial area of the Greek period (3rd centuryBC).
The tomb was dedicated to the 12 gods and Harmilou who was the idolized hero of the Harmiliou generation. It is a rectangular monument, which is covered by a semi circular roof. The interior has two long aeas which lead in to six rectangular tombs which were sealed with large stones. The front of the monument was covered with white marble, a piece of which is in the church of the Holy Cross which is built on top of the tomb.
Church of the Holy Cross It is located in thevillage of Pyli and is built over the Greek tomb monument of Harmilou. It is a single chamber church with a roof and was constructed with many pieces of marble from the Harmilou monument.
Castle Peripato The Castle Peripato was commemorated from the end of the 11th century(1093). The sacred Hristodoulos Latrinos mentions it as belonging to the Monastery of St Mary Kastrianon which is situated on the hill of Old Pyli. In the archives of the Ioanniton Knights, in the mid 15th century, it was noted as a castle and settlement. With the Castle Peripato there are three rectangular dome covered areas and some low walls which are still preserved today in the eastern part of the new Pyli village. The exact area of the Castle Peripato can’t be calculated unless an exact study is made by archaeologists. The most likely possibility is that the area where the castle was, has been used to build houses in the area of St Nikolaou. After saving three of the rectangular areas, their roof was extremely flat and on the inside it was domed. The south part of the area is preserved even today. It still has its original cylindrical dome and the raised gate which is approachable by using a stone staircase. The other two areas had their entrance from the eastern side maybe so they could face the interior yard where ceremonies took place. These particular areas were lit rudimentarily by placing windows closely together in a low place for safety reasons.
Spring of Pyli It’s situated in the area of Peripatou in the village of Pyli and is a square building with a flat roof which has six faucets from which water runs out of. The water is channeled by canals to neighboring land, while the spring of Pyli offers potable water to the island’s residents, especially Kardamena.
Church of St. Antonios It is situated in the position called Hantaki in the surrounding area of the Cutural Centre of the Municipality of Dikaio. It belongs to the knight era. It’s a single chamber church which has a roof. Today it is deserted. Inside the church there is a mural depicting St Antonio.
Rate this item
(2 votes)
back to top