Basilica of St. John Theologou The old Christian Basilica of St John Pergialiti is situated outside the village of mastichari and is about 8 metres south of the sea. It was excavated by Anastasio Orlando and was the first excavation to be carried out by the Greek government after the union of the dodecanese with the rest of Greece in 1947.
It’s a three sided Basilica with a flattened surface towards the church antinave in the west and a protruding semi-circular arch in the east. The baptistery is situated in the main area of the church on the north eastern side. On the south side there is a three sided outer building. The area of the Baslica has mosaic floors which have a variety of geometrical shapes. They also have circular, rectangular and square shapes depicting animals plants and pots.